I bet you clicked on this post because these rainbow gelatin bubbles look GREAT right?
They look like floating bubbles. Some say these rainbow gelatin bubbles remind them of now globes and others think they resemble giant gumballs. Whatever you think of them there is one thing I’m guessing we can all agree on, they look amazing!
But…. Are you’re secretly thinking in your mind that they’re going to be too hard to make?
Well let me free your mind from the hassle and tell you know they are extremely EASY to make. So easy in fact kids can even make them. Well, with a little adult help depending on their age.
What You Need To Know When Making Rainbow Gelatin Bubbles
These rainbow gelatin bubbles are pretty easy but there are a few Pros and Cons.
The Not So Good
- You need to blow up lots of balloons pretty small which is pretty hard to do because when you tie them up they seem to just want to deflate.
- When you heat the gelatine it is STINKY! Yes STINKY! Like a cross between sheep and burnt rubber urgh!!!! Don’t worry the smell disappears when the gelatine cools down.
- Your hands will probably get colourfully stained from the food dye. Well mine did so excuse the dark purple stained hands in the video below. I did wash them quite a few times but it just wanted to stay with me, what can I say.
- It takes a bit of hard core peeling to get some of the balloons off of the gelatine and sometimes it’ll just peel off easily. These guys are temperamental.
- Don’t try eating them because they are rock hard and will mash up your teeth, that’s why I didn’t bother flavouring them.
- They don’t melt when placed onto buttercream.
- That means you can wipe off any buttercream and re-use them again if you’re that way inclined.
- These rainbow gelatin bubbles last forever! Well I made mine over 4 months ago and they are still as hard and round and the same shade as they were on day 1 (just to let you know I have stored mine in a big dish uncovered in the kitchen, I don’t know what will happen to them if you put them in a sealed container) This means you can make them a few months ahead of when you need them.
What Kind Of Balloons Should You Use
Make sure to use water balloons because you can blow them up smaller than standard balloons. Don’t try to blow water balloons up with your mouth because they have a white substance inside them.Inflate your balloons with a balloon or bicycle tyre pump.
If you purchase anything from the links below as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you.
- Blow up your balloons to the size you want your bubbles to be and tie to secure
- Push a skewer into the tail of each balloon
- Put a drop of olive oil on some kitchen paper then rub each balloon so they are thoroughly coated
- In a heat proof bowl add 7g of gelatine and 4 tablespoons of water and give it a brief stir
- Add in your chosen food gel colour and mix until all the colour is evenly distributed
- Heat in the microwave for 20 seconds (your mixture should now be a liquid)
- Dip your balloon into your gelatine mixture moving it around making sure each part of the balloon is covered
- Let any excess gelatine drip off and re-dip to ensure your bubble is as smooth as possible
- Stand in a tall glass with some kitchen paper underneath to catch any drips and leave to dry for at least 12 hours but it'll be better if you can leave it overnight, this is if you want transparent bubbles but if you want your bubbles to be opaque leave them to dry for 2-3 hours until tacky then re-dip and leave to dry for the time stated above
- When the gelatine is rock hard cut the tail off of the balloon, then insert your scissors or tweezers inside the hole and pull the balloon away from the gelatine
- Then you should be left with a beautiful hard coloured bubble to decorate any tasty delight
If you would like a cake to compliment your rainbow gelatine bubbles then give my rainbow cake that tastes like a rainbow a go. Each layer is jam packed with a different flavour complimenting each other to give you a cake experience like no other. You will have a cake with the WOW! factor on the inside and the outside, plus you can play guess the flavour which is always a hit at any party.